Friday, April 13, 2012

Fairy Tales



“Fairy tales are more than true; not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.” 
 G.K. Chesterton
"The old fairy tales endure forever. The old fairy tale makes the hero a normal human boy; it is his adventures that are startling; they startle him because he is normal." 
Chesterton
“If you want your children to be intelligent, read them fairy tales. If you want them to be more intelligent, read them more fairy tales.” 
 Albert Einstein


Have you noticed the fascination that people have with fairy tales? It’s what is “in” this year. All of the movies, and many of the television series that I’ve seen lately are all based on fairy tales. Vampires are so last year, right? May be not…….. Anyway, my confession is that I love the newest trend. I love to pick up old fairy tale books, and have several from other countries. I even have a Russian version of Little Red Riding Hood!
Why do people have such a love affair with fairy tales? I think it is because they give us hope…that evil witches get theirs’ in the end, that ogres can have a change of heart, that the underdog can rise up and become something better than he/she was, and that somewhere out there, there could be a happy ending.
I must admit that the older I get, the more cynical I become. Prince Charming has issues, the fairy godmother never shows up on time, and my hair is brittle and gives me headaches when it gets too long. (I could never have people climbing it……) Not everyone gets a happy ending, I’ve been around, I’ve seen things. Ecclesiastes 1:18 says, “For with much wisdom comes much sorrow; the more knowledge, the more grief.” How does the old saying go? “Ignorance is bliss…..” When you are a child, you can believe in many things, Santa Clause, the Easter Bunny, even the Tooth Fairy. Somehow along the way we lose the ability to dream and to imagine the impossible.
Jesus said in Matthew 19:26, “With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible.” He was speaking of entrance into heaven…..(rich men entering heaven and camels going through the eyes of needles) As hard as I find it these days to believe in fairy tales, it doesn’t mean that I don’t believe in anything. I hold on with all that I have to the truth. I have every confidence that one day, evil will be banished and that my Savior will come on a white horse. I am anticipating a beautiful mansion, and streets of pure gold, and have an earnest expectation of “happily ever after”. 

“These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world.” John 16:33



No comments:

Post a Comment