Saturday, March 17, 2012

Two Kinds of People


There are two kinds of people in this world; those who like to look at boats on the water from the shore, and those who like to look at the shore from boats on the waterJ

Me? I love to be on the shore. I love the sound of the waves lapping the shore. I love to watch the pelicans hovering right above the water and the sandpipers waiting for the waves to go out so they can run and dig their bills in the sand. I love building sandcastles with motes and flags. I love letting my feet sink down until it’s hard to get them back up again. I absolutely love flying a kite on the beach. I love walking down the beach looking for shells and walking at the edge of the water and dodging the waves (or not). I love lying in the sun looking out at turquoise water. (my favorite color) I even love water sports that are done “from shore”, snorkeling being my favorite.




My husband on the other hand has had a love affair with boats since the day he was born. The son and grandson of commercial fishermen, he grew up on the water and in boats. He loves fishing from boats, whether it’s in a river for bass, a lake for croppy, the bay for flounder, the gulf for tuna, or the Caribbean for the catch of the day. Once when we had our family at the beach for the day, he took one of the kayaks out past the last breaker and had two rod holders with a fishing rod in each. He caught a shark on each rod, reeled them in, put the rods back in the holders and rowed them to shoreJ Of course his newest love is sailing. He loves to go out on the sailboat where the goal seems to be to get as far from shore as possible. As Joe Banks would say, “…away from the things of man.”  
All that to say that sometimes life gets interesting when you are planning to get away for a few days. But the key is just like in most of life; we compromise. One thing is for sure, as long as we are together, life is good whether we are on the shore or in the boat. Jack Johnson says it very nicely........




Love is the answer,
At least for most of the questions in my heart
Like why are we here? And where do we go?
And how come it's so hard?
It's not always easy and
Sometimes life can be deceiving
I'll tell you one thing, it's always better when we're together

Mmm, it's always better when we're together
Yeah, we'll look at the stars when we're     together
Well, it's always better when we're together
Yeah, it's always better when we're together




2 comments:

  1. Oh...my....goodness...How I love you and all your writings and posts! You are one of my FAVORITE people in the whole...wide...world....Love, Nannette

    ReplyDelete